This program is component associated with (Res)MA History Programme. It isn’t accessible for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives of this VOC or Dutch East India business. It partly functions as a practical, more counterpart that is specific of Literature Seminar. It relates to a few of the basic archival dilemmas talked about here, but details them into the context of a seventeenth- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian commercial enterprise. As the VOC records formally comprised company management, in training in addition they functioned as a giant repository of valuable and information that is secret all kinds of activities in early-modern Asia.
The different remaining VOC archives are comprised of numerous many types or even „genres” of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall away from confines of the collections, but are closely associated with them, such as for example private documents, missionary records, travel accounts, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, consist and organised in numerous means, and information that is present various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a historiographical standpoint. Moreover it actively seeks similarities and differences when considering, regarding the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch institutions as well as other European trading that is overseas. Pupils who cannot(old that is read Dutch may make use of such other European records, as an example those associated with English East Asia business.
The pupil has obtained:
- 1 The capability to separately recognize and choose literary works, making use of old-fashioned and techniques that are modern
- 2 The capacity to separately recognize and choose sources, making use of old-fashioned and contemporary practices;
- 3 The capability to analyse and assess a corpus of sources having a view to handling a specific problem that is historical
- 4 the capability to analyse and assess literary works having a view to handling a specific problem that is historical
- 5 the capability to individually formulate a definite and research that is well-argued, taking into consideration the theory and method of the industry and also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to separately arranged and perform a original scientific study that could make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capability to provide a well-founded and clear dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever required, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements regarding the control;
- 8 the capability to be involved in present debates within the specialisation;
- 9 the capability to offer constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of other people as well as the power to assess the value of such critique and feedback on one’s very very own work and combine it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capacity to be involved in a conversation regarding the theoretical fundamentals of this control.
Learning goals, with respect to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of 1 for the specialisations or subspecialisations in addition to of this historiography associated with the specialisation, concentrating specially in the after; within the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a colonial context; understanding of the value of archiving procedures for the manner in which a culture relates to its paperwork heritage as a whole and its own historic practice in particular; disclosure, including digital disclosure, of archives within the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension associated with the theoretical, conceptual and methodological areas of the specialisation or subspecialisation under consideration, by having a focus that is particular the annotated following: into the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; evaluation and collection of archives.
Learning goals pay someone to write my paper, with respect to this extensive Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough knowledge of the organization of this VOC archives and just how it even compares to the organization of closely relevant materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and also to documents of other European international trading businesses.
- 14 Thorough comprehension of exactly how these different organisational axioms are pertaining to the goals and audiences of these materials together with kind and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives produced in a early-modern Dutch-non-Western context.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capability to put up and execute research that is original raises brand brand new questions, pioneers brand brand new apporaches and/or points to brand brand new guidelines for future research.